Monday, March 1, 2010

Taking a ride

It’s a beautiful day in southern California, the sun is shining and the hills are verdant with life springing from the previous rains, and if perched on top of a hill with no obstructed views, once can see all the way to Catalina Island. Day as these bring me joy to live in the vibrant city that is LA. Take a ride on the 101 freeway and you will see the beauty that this city has to offer. Starting from downtown LA, the buildings cast a shadow upon ourselves reminding us of how small we are on this earth, but as one continues on north passing the Griffith Observatory nestled in the hills with the HOLLYWOOD sign as its backdrop and enters into the canyons that house the Hollywood bowl and some of the most influential residential architecture of past time, an individual can just have a little glimpse of what this city has to offer during that 10 mile stretch before continuing on further.
I never really had an appreciation for the beauty that encompasses LA, until I was afforded the freedom of having my own car, which then I would begin to accumulate the miles. Extending and broadening my horizons is what I would say every time I was pressed with the questions from my parents of “what are you heading?” I feel fortunate enough to be well aware of my surroundings, because I come across individuals quite often while conversing of the plentiful things to do in LA, and to my astonishment they have never been to some of the nearby places that are right in our backyard. I often think of the great summers I would have, there was the summer of Manhattan Beach in which I explored all there is to do in this city from the open beaches to the downtown night life. Then there was the summer of Night, which I deemed because I began to explore all there is to do in this city during the evening hours. From the most trendy and hip restaurants to the stylish lounges and nightclubs, I spared no time wasted on not finding that next venue to hang out with friends. It has always been in my nature to see the world around me and really expand my knowledge on what it means to live. Truly during this time of adventure, I felt so vibrant and full of life. I could only hope that those who don’t have the tenacity yet within them to get up and get out and get lost will find it soon.
One of the greatest benefits that came from my adventures was the cultural awareness of this city. The melting pot that is LA is how I expressed to my friends the city we live in. How beautiful it is to find oneself submersed in culture just by taking a 15 minute trip down to Chinatown, or the nearby heavily populated Indian district of Norwalk. Of the greatest joys in life that I may come across, it is the opportunity to meet people from all parts of the globe, right here in my town. We are so fortunate to have this available to our society, and to think of raising a family in this environment is one of the treasured thing that I have come to hold. Growing up and living in LA has definitely exposed myself to the adventures that I will begin to take on a global basis. Therefore, I say to you get up and take a ride to your enlightenment.

Emmanuel “God with us”

No comments:

Post a Comment