Thursday, March 4, 2010

Perceptions of Success


By what circumstance does one measure success? Is success attaining for that six figure salary job? What about saving a life through mentorship, does this equate success that can be compared to the person who holds that college degree? However one measures success can be seen in their demeanor and follow into their outlook on life. I bring this notion to light, because I feel that not always was the case that my ideals and perception on life were with thought of with good merit. For a while success meant only one thing, and that was to have enough money in the world that I would be able to live without any worry. To some extent that is ok, but how one achieves this should be thought of with good morals.
There will forever remain those whose wealth will supersede any average being on this earth. This notion of attaining wealth may never depart from that young mind that sees life being more rewarding if they only had the monetary means. I definitely agree that money can aid one’s overall life and bring more opportunity to do things that one could only dream of, but of what value does having the means to do these things if there are still people who will never be able to afford a pair of descent shoes? See money can take away the struggle, but one who lives with the sole purpose of attaining this wealth does not contain the ability to see how devastating our humanity has come to be. This type of success is no success at all unless attaining wealth as this is used for the greater good of helping in any way that we to improve the conditions of our society. Aside from my digression, I would like to bring up a valid point, success is something that is every individual’s mind, and as begins to investigate their meaning of success, we can find how determined one is to attain it.
I often wonder if my overall morals and attitude of life may have been changed if my family did not have to go through the struggles that we encountered. I have become a deeply humbled individual from knowing that despite the struggle my family had to incur and still does, that will always remain other families that will incur far more hardships that I could only conceive of. Los Angeles is a prime example of this. Take a journey into any neighborhood and look beyond their borders and one will find at least one individual who has incurred this type of hardship. My heart goes out to those who are from the more underprivileged parts of our surrounding cities. I often think about the immigrants who migrated to this country for the sole purpose of attaining a better life. It is inconceivable to me to think about how their life was in their homeland that was had become too much to incur, that ultimately made them decide to drop everything they had just to make that trip to cross our borders in hope of having it a little easier.
What success means to these people is being able to provide just a little more than what they could of provided while in their homeland. As I think about how their condition may be while residing in this state, I think how awesome it is to see how content they are with having the little that they do possess. I often come across these individuals while on my way to school work or out to meet with friends, and it brings me joy knowing that despite any circumstances they may being going through, they are still committed to providing the very best to their families with the little means they possess. I look up to individuals as these, because their idea of success is so pure and I hope that I could remain diligent in my dreams and goals, for one day I will be able to live with content knowing that chasing the monetary value in life is not worth my morals being misconstrued. (Artwork by David Garibaldi) http://garibaldiarts.com/
Emmanuel “God with us”

No comments:

Post a Comment