Sunday, January 24, 2010

Haiti Relief Effort

The Sun is weathering down on the capital of Haiti, the streets of Port au Prince are bustling with traffic and the people are trying to find some reprieve from the heat. Meanwhile a young man celebrates a birthday, the candles are lit the table is set and the family is near all waiting that special moment that makes a kid flutter with excitement when it is time to make a birthday wish and blow the promise to the heavens. This is not a story to relive the moments of joy or sorrow, but to remember the day that once again unified a people. As our know humanity has come to hear of the tragic events to occur in this tropical nation on Tuesday, January 12, 2010; no one person whether near or far can grasp the reality that has abruptly burden the people of Haiti. However we as a people can lend our support, through prayer, condolences, and monetary donations to help make their sorrow and grief a little lighter.
When I heard of the earthquake to rock a nation to rubble, several thoughts and question began to overflow my mind. To be honest, how can I ever know what famine feels like? How can I even begin to think of the outcry that so many face from the little children to the adult who is bound and chained by a drug addiction when I have never been there? I do wish I could relate to the struggle and the fight that most individuals who reside in the nation of Haiti have to encounter on a daily basis. The truth is I don’t feel I could ever relate to the people of the most underdeveloped parts of our world. Living in America yes has glimpses of tragedy and strife. Drug addiction is rampant amongst this so called land of opportunity and yes hunger is a growing epidemic that has been on the rise, however when we begin to compare and contrast these types of experiences with those who are from the most underserved parts of the world, our struggle is incomparable.
There was a moment when I had to just stop and think…….listening to reports as I drive to work in the morning of the struggle and concerns that are faced by the people of Haiti, I found myself overcome with discern and tailing that thought was my perception of the how the media is going to find a way to turn this into another monster. UNICEF commercials displaying little girls and boys from the slums of India asking for sponsors already overtake the weekend morning stations and now the children of Haiti will be the newest televised faces to be seen across the United States. To an extent I feel that this event will generate enough support from the American people to truly make a huge impact for the better good of humanity. The flipside of this is the political outcry that will await the next candidate running for office who will pounce on the opportunity to use this event as an attention getter to appeal to the American people, and yet how much do they really care? I feel a little sidetracked and apologize for my digression.
If for one moment in time, such as the day the 7.0 earthquake ravaged the nation of Haiti; brought a common goal and purpose to be held by the greater humanity, it was this time. This year thus far has started with dismay, but has resulted in the unification of a people to remind ourselves of how precious life is and how tomorrow is never promised. I pray for those who find themselves questioning their purpose in life and for those who are struggling with a tragedy no matter how small or big it may be. I pray that GOD will find those who seek him first and relieve the pressures of the world and fill their void with joy and a promise of an everlasting life free from the troubles our humanity faces on earth. There remains hope and an answer so long as we are willing to seek it. We must continue to reach out to those who are hurting and lend a shoulder, ear, and a voice; for there will come a time when we might find ourselves in place of those who we are mending. I look outwards to the heavens and wonder why time on earth seems to be filled with so much hurt, but I know that our time here is short and a greater place awaits us. Emmanuel-GOD with us.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! It's crazy how many citizens walk around this great country (by the way, why do we call this country great when there are so many that don't even realize how great it actually is?...just a question) and will never have to experience the hurt and loss of those in Haiti. I don't really think we know what hunger is in most parts and sadly I do think opportunists will try to use this tragedy to push forward their agenda (whatever it might be). I hope God is able to use this event for His purposes (His ways are not our ways)

    ReplyDelete